Topics: Father's day, influence, mission
I. Fear your Master
* Blessed Fathers have a reverential fear of the Lord!
- How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways. When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, you will be happy and it will be well with you (Psalm 128:1, 2).
- "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28).
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Psalm 111:10a); The fear of the Lord is to hate evil (Proverbs 8:13a); The fear of the
Lord prolongs life (Proverbs 10:27a); The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life (Proverbs 14:27a); The fear of the Lord leads to life, so that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil (Proverbs 19:23).
II. Love your mate
* Blessed Fathers celebrate the differences of their wife!
- Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house, your children like olive plants around your table. Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord (Psalm 128:3, 4).
- Husbands, love your wives and do not be embittered against them. Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord. Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart (Colossians 3:19?21).
- While He was praying, heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased" (Luke 3:21b, 22).
III. Fulfill your mission
* Blessed Fathers promote the cause of Christ in their community!
- The Lord bless you from Zion, and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life. Indeed, may you see your children's children. Peace be upon Israel! (Psalm 128:5, 6).
- I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe (Ephesians 1:18, 19a).
Father's Day Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, June 18th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
A Father's influence
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Encourage everyone to share their stories of upbringing, family influence and their spiritual journey too.
- What kind of influence did your Dad have on you?
- How does a Father's spiritual blessing impact children?
- What does "the fear of the Lord" look like to you? How is it different from being afraid and scared of the Lord?
- How can we develop a healthy biblical fear of the Lord?
- Are you a blessed and happy person by understanding your Master, your Mate and your Mission?
- Why is important to recognize that the heavenly Father was proud of His Son Jesus, even before He did any ministry or miracles? How is your pride of your children or disciples connected with who they are and not attached to what they do?
- What are some practical ways husbands can love their mate as Christ also loved the Church (Ephesians 5:25-30)?
- How is our primary mission to glorify God worked out in our personal walk, in our family life and in our community impact?
Now What? Application:
- How will you deepen your spiritual relationship with the Lord?
- Can you describe your specific personal mission that God has planned and ordained for your life (Ephesians 2:10)?