Topics: judgment, be ready
I. Summons to judgment
- The Mighty One, God, the Lord, has spoken and summoned the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting. Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God has shone forth. May our God come and not keep silence; fire devours before Him, and it is very tempestuous around Him. He summons the heavens above, and the earth, to judge His people: "Gather My godly ones to Me, those who have made a covenant with Me by sacrifice." And the heavens declare His righteousness, for God Himself is judge. Selah (Psalm 50:1-6).
- It is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if
it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? (1 Peter 4:17).
II. Indictment: Ritualism
- Review Psalm 50:7-15.
- "Bring your worthless offerings no longer, incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies - I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly" (Isaiah 1:13).
III. Indictment: Hypocrisy
- But to the wicked God says, "What right have you to tell of My statutes and to take My covenant in your mouth? For you hate discipline, and you cast My words behind you. When you see a thief, you are pleased with him, and you associate with adulterers. You let your mouth loose in evil and your tongue frames deceit. You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother's son. These things you have done and I kept silence; you thought that I was just like you; I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes" (Psalm 50:16-21).
- "You hypocrites rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you: 'This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far away from Me. But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men'"(Matthew 15:7-9).
IV. Response: Thanksgiving
- "Now consider this, you who forget God, or I will tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver. He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors Me; and to him who orders his way aright I shall show the salvation of God" (Psalm 50:22, 23).
- See 1 Chronicles 16:7, 8.
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, April 30th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Be ready for judgment
An important Guideline of Life Groups: The Life Group accountability with one another is like "iron sharpening iron" (Proverbs 27:17) to help us live our faith and be ready for the Bema seat judgment of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:10). What are you doing to spur one another on to godliness?
- Are you ready for the Mighty One, God, the Lord's judgment?
- What are the major differences between the "Great White Throne" judgment (Revelation 20:11-15) and the "Bema seat" judgment of Christ (Romans 14:12; 2 Corinthians 5:10)?
- Have you ever felt like you were just going through the motions in your worship? What helps you restore and revive your genuine worship?
- If you were arrested for being a Christian, what kind of evidence does your life bring to convict you of real faith?
- What are some Christian rituals that can rob people of true worship today?
- What are some distorted images of God that people have, because they "thought that God was just like them" (Psalm 50:21)? How is God NOT like humans?
- What should be the posture of our heart as we prepare for judgment by our holy and righteous Lord?
- How important do you think it is for people to honor God and give Him thanks (Romans 1:21)?
- How serious is the judgment of willful sinning as a way of life (Hebrews 10:26, 27)?
- When you realize that God doesn't need our worship, but we need to worship God; how does that inspire greater devotion?
Now What? Application:
- What sacrifice of thanksgiving will you make to the Lord to honor Him this week?
- Since we will be recompensed for our ministry, what do you plan on doing?