Topics: good food, bad food, authenticity
I. Look past the exterior!
*Become a fruit inspector with biblical discernment of truth!
- Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves? (Matthew 7:15).
- Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves, men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them? (Acts 20:28-30).
- Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves? (Matthew 10:16; see 2 Corinthians 11:3, 13-15).
- Now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord (Ephesians 5:8b-10).
II. Look past the words!
* Become a fruit inspector with careful appraisal of one's integrity!
- You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So then, you will know them by their fruits? (Matthew 7:16?20).
- For from the least of them even to the greatest of them, everyone is greedy for gain, and from the prophet, even to the priest, everyone deals falsely. They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially, saying, 'Peace, peace,' but there is no peace. Were they ashamed because of the abomination they have done? They were not even ashamed at all; they did not even know how to blush? (Jeremiah 6:13-15a).
- All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you (1 Peter 5:5b-7).
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control; against such things, there is no law (Gal. 5:22, 23).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins July 10th,2022.