Topics: purity, pure heart
I. Grasp the total depravity of the heart
* There is an undeniable depravity within all human hearts (Eph. 2:1-3)
- "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds" (Jeremiah 17:9, 10).
- Who can say, "I have cleansed my heart, I am pure from my sin"? (Proverbs 20:9).
- Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood and has not sworn deceitfully.
He shall receive a blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation (Psalm 24:3-5).
II. Trust the positional purity of the heart
* There is only one way to cleanse our sinful hearts (Eph. 2:4-6)
- "And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith" (Acts 15:8, 9).
- But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith (1 Timothy 1:5; see Proverbs 4:23).
III. Nurture the practical purity of the heart
* There is a clear pathway for us in purifying our hearts (Eph. 2:10)
- Study God's word: How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You (Psalm 119:9?11).
- Faithful prayer: Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart (Luke 18:1; see Philippians 4:6, 7).
- Godly accountability: Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart (2 Timothy 2:22).
- Heartfelt worship: "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers" (John 4:23; see 1 Corinthians 13:12 and 1 John 3:2, 3).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins October 3rd,2021