Topics: how to stand up in the world
I. Take a stand
* Daniel and all the exiles were supposed to bloom in Babylon!
- "Build houses and live in them; and plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and become the fathers of sons and daughters, and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; and multiply there and do not decrease. Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare" (Jeremiah 29:5-7).
- But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king's choice food or with the wine which he drank; so he
sought permission from the commander of the officials that he might not defile himself (Daniel 1:8).
II. Enlist others
* Daniel bloomed due to God's favor that impacted his friends too!
- Now God granted Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the commander of the officials, and the commander of the officials said to Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king, who has appointed your food and your drink; for why should he see your faces looking more haggard than the youths who are your own age? Then you would make me forfeit my head to the king." But Daniel said to the overseer whom the commander of the officials had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, "Please test your servants for ten days, and let us be given some vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our appearance be observed in your presence and the appearance of the youths who are eating the king's choice food; and deal with your servants according to what you see" (Daniel 1:9-13).
- Then Daniel went to his house and informed his friends, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, about the matter (Daniel 2:17).
III. Impact the world
* Daniel bloomed as he trusted God with a ten-day test of health!
- So he listened to them in this matter and tested them for ten days. At the end of ten days their appearance seemed better and they were fatter than all the youths who had been eating the king?s choice food. So the overseer continued to withhold their choice food and the wine they were to drink, and kept giving them vegetables (Daniel 1:14-16).
- But the people who know their God will display strength and take action (Daniel 11:32b)
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins September 6th, 2020