Topics: Memorial Day, honor, rejoice
I. Rejoice despite offensives
A. Prayers of lament can lead us to praise the Lord!
- I heard and my inward parts trembled, at the sound my lips quivered. Decay enters my bones, and in my place I tremble. Because I must wait quietly for the day of distress, for the people to arise who will invade us (Habakkuk 3:16).
- "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Nevertheless I will argue my ways before Him" (Job 13:15).
B. Choose to rejoice by faith even when facing our own judgment!
I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth (Psalm 34:1).
II. Rejoice despite recession
A. Rejoicing is not determined by our circumstances!
- Though the fig tree should not blossom and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls (Habakkuk 3:17).
- The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all (Psalm 34:18, 19).
B. Choose to rejoice by faith even when there's economic setback!
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! (Philippians 4:4).
III. Rejoice in our salvation
A. Willful praise transforms our attitude and outlook!
- Yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds' feet, and makes me walk on my high places. For the choir director, on my stringed instruments (Habakkuk 3:18, 19).
- "Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven" (Luke 10:20).
B. Choose to rejoice by faith for God?s amazing grace and strength!
This day is holy to our Lord. Do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength? (Nehemiah 8:10b).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, May 24th, 2020