Topics: divorce, remarriage
I. Moses' teaching on divorce
* Moses allowed the writing of a certificate of divorce!
- When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house (Deut. 24:1).
- If he takes to himself another woman, he may not reduce her food, her clothing, or her conjugal rights. If he will not do these three things for her, then she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money (Exodus 21:10-11).
II. Jesus' teaching on divorce
* Jesus highlights the sanctity of marriage yet allows divorce!
- "It was said, 'Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce'; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery"(Matthew 5:31, 32).
- "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, '?For this reason, a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate." They *said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to give her a certificate of divorce and send her away?" He *said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning, it has not been this way. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery" (Matthew 19:4-9).
Paul's teaching on divorce
* Paul emphasizes self-control of sexual passions and remarriage!
- Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband (1 Corinthians 7:1, 2).
- But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion (1 Corinthians 7:8, 9).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins January 23rd, 2022