Topics: dignity, creation
* Our true significance flows from the majestic character of God!
- Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth, Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens! From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength because of Your adversaries, to make the enemy and the revengeful cease (Psalm 8:1, 2).
- But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that He had done, and the children who were shouting in the temple, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they became indignant and said to Him, "Do You hear what these children are saying?" And Jesus *said to them, "Yes; have you never read, 'Out of the mouth
of infants and nursing babies You have prepared praise for Yourself'?" (Matthew 21:15, 16).
I. Embrace our special creation
*Our true significance is found in being created in the image of God!
- When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained; what is man that You take thought of him, and the son of man that You care for him? Yet You have made him a little lower than God, and You crown him with glory and majesty! You make him to rule over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet, all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field, the birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea, whatever passes through the paths of the seas (Psalm 8:3-8).
- Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them (Genesis 1:26, 27).
II. Find our true dignity in Jesus
* Our true significance is realized in a restored relationship with God!
- See Hebrews 2:6-9.
- Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come (2 Corinthians 5:17).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, October 16th,2022
Life group flow and discussion questions
"Finding our true significance"
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Connecting to the Christian community through Life Groups is one of the best ways to sense our God-given significance and dignity as children of God. Make sure everyone feels welcome.
- What are some wrong ways the world gives for us to find personal significance?
- How does focusing on the majesty of our Lord give us perspective of our eternal value and worth?
- What qualities of the word "majestic" express your awe and wonder of our Lord the most; His royalty, His infinity, His power, or His illustrious greatness?
- Have you ever laid down and looked into the night sky at the multitudes of stars and galaxies and wondered: "Who am I?" or "Am I insignificant?" What was David's response to his consideration of the heavens (Psalm 8:3-8)?
- How can we develop a biblically, healthy self-love without thinking too highly of ourselves (Romans 12:3; Matthew 22:39)?
- What does the author of Hebrews communicate about our responsibility of ruling over all things, both now and in the future (Hebrews 2:6-8)?
- What practical things can we do to restore the image of God that has been marred by our sin (Ephesians 4:23, 24; 2 Corinthians 3:18)?
- Do you feel significant as a child of God (John 1:12, 13)?
- Why do you think God chose to create us in His image (Genesis 1:26, 27)?
- Have you found your source of hope, joy, significance, and satisfaction in Jesus?
Now What? Application:
- How will you focus on loving the people right in front of you (your OIKOS) and help them know they are treasured and valued by our Lord?
- What can you do to reflect your true dignity as Christ's ambassador to this world?