Topics: God's love, need of love
I. The darkness of sinful man
* Learn to hate sin before it whispers within our hearts!
- Transgression speaks to the ungodly within his heart; there is no fear of God before his eyes. For it flatters him in his own eyes concerning the discovery of his iniquity and the hatred of it. The words of his mouth are wickedness and deceit; he has ceased to be wise and to do good. He plans wickedness upon his bed; he sets himself on a path that is not good; he does not despise evil (Psalm 36:1-4).
- The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; there is no one who does
good. The Lord has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one (Psalm 14:1-3).
II. The brightness of our Holy God
* Grow in love with our Lord as we meditate on His character!
- Your loving kindness, O Lord, extends to the heavens, Your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; Your judgments are like a great deep. O Lord, You preserve man and beast (Psalm 36:5, 6).
- How precious is Your loving-kindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; and You give them to drink of the river of Your delights. For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light (Psalm 36:7-9).
III. The need of God within man
* Humbly seek our Lord with prayerful and faithful obedience!
- continue Your lovingkindness to those who know You, and Your righteousness to the upright in heart. Let not the foot of pride come upon me, and let not the hand of the wicked drive me away. There the doers of iniquity have fallen; they have been thrust down and cannot rise (Psalm 36:10-12).
- ?Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling? (Matthew 23:37).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, February 5th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
God's love triumphs over evil
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Spreading God's Love is the primary function of gathering together in Life Groups. We want to encourage one another in God's Love and we want to introduce lost people to God's Love. How can you be more strategic in doing this?
- How would you explain "The Total Depravity of Man" to someone who is curious about this doctrine (Romans 3:10-18)?
- In what ways does the darkness of Mankind's sin set a backdrop for God's Shekinah glory to shine brighter?
- Do you take your sin seriously? How do you practice repentance in your spiritual journey with our Lord?
- What is involved in growing more in love with our Lord?
- How do the character qualities of our Lord show the comprehensiveness of His ways in dealing with people?
- Which of the five attributes of our Holy God is most meaningful to you and why? Loving-kindness, Faithfulness, Righteousness, Judgment (Justice) or Salvation?
- In what way is John's opening to his gospel (John 1:1-5) reflective of Psalm 36:9?
- What did God do to eliminate the sin within man and replace it with His forgiving righteousness?
- How can you take refuge in the shadow of our Lord's wings (Psalm 36:7; 91:4; Matthew 23:37)?
- What is your plan to prevent selfish pride from rising up within you (Psalm 36:11)?
Now What? Application:
- How will you learn to hate sin before it whispers into your ears and your heart?
- What does faithful obedience and prayer look like in your life right now? How can you mature in your spiritual walk of victory?