I. God's earthly rescue and wrath
A. God's earthly base is Mount Zion!
- God is known in Judah; His name is great in Israel. His tabernacle is in Salem; His dwelling place also is in Zion. There He broke the flaming arrows, the shield and the sword and the weapons of war. Selah (Psalm 76:1-3).
- But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous
made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant (Hebrews 12:22-24a).
B. God's earthly rescue is through Jesus!
- Review Psalm 76:4-6.
- Then the angel of the Lord went out and struck 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians; and when men arose early in the morning, behold, all of these were dead (Isaiah 37:36).
II. God's cosmic rescue and wrath
A. God's cosmic base is Heaven!
- Review Psalm 76:7?9.
- Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains; and they said to the mountains and to the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb; for the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?" (Revelation 6:15-17).
B. God's cosmic rescue is through Jesus!
- Review Psalm 76:10-12.
- "And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other" (Matthew 24:31).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, August 6th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
God's rescue and wrath
An important Guideline of Life Groups: "Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus" (Titus 2:13) needs to be a motivation for each of us to live godly and holy lives. Discuss how Christ's return inspires your spiritual maturity.
- What is your understanding of God's gracious rescue of the humble and His righteous wrath against the arrogant?
- Why would some people choose to reject God's gracious gift of rescue from this domain of darkness (Colossians 1:13, 14)?
- In what way was God's bridgehead of love for Israel never to be restricted, but was to reflect God's boundary of love for all mankind?
- How is God's rescue and wrath explained throughout Scripture?
- What are the spiritual differences between Mount Sinai and Mount Zion according to Hebrews 12:18-24?
- Read Psalm 76:10 again: How does wrath bring glory to God? What do you think is meant by "a remnant of wrath" with which God girds Himself?
- Why is it important to explain both the rescue of God as well as the wrath of God when presenting the gospel of hope?
- Can you present a clear biblical explanation of your eschatological view of the rapture and second coming of Jesus?
Now What? Application:
- Are you certain that you have been rescued by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone (Ephesians 2:8, 9)?
- What changes do you need or want to make to be prepared for Christ's return?