Topics: rejoice, reverence, response
I. Call to joyful rejoicing
* God's invitation to come singing and shouting joyfully!
- come, let us sing for joy to the Lord, let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms (Psalm 95:1, 2).
- For the Lord is a great God and a great King above all gods, in whose hand are the depths of the earth, the peaks of the mountains are His also. The sea is His, for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land (Psalm 95:3-5).
II. Call to humble reverence
* God's invitation to come into His holy awe-inspiring presence!
- Come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand (Psalm 95:6, 7a).
- Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him (Psalm 33:8).
III. Call to heartfelt response
* God's invitation to carefully listen and obey the voice of God!
- Today, if you would hear His voice, do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, as in the day of Massah in the wilderness, "When your fathers tested Me, they tried Me, though they had seen My work. For forty years I loathed that generation, and said they are a people who err in their heart, and they do not know My ways. Therefore I swore in My anger, truly they shall not enter into My rest" (Psalm 95:7b-11).
- "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, September 17th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
God's spiritual invitation
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Once you have responded to God?s spiritual invitation to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord (John 1:12; Revelation 3:20); we are to extend that invitation to anyone who will listen. Brainstorm of creative ways in how your Life Group can be inviting others!
- Why do you think that God invites us into a spiritual relationship with Himself?
- What does it look like in your personal life to "shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation" (Psalm 95:1, 2)?
- Is there thanksgiving and joy in your worship of "the Lord who is a great God and great King above all gods" (Psalm 95:6)?
- Why is it that Christians are often critical of others whose worship is too animated and enthusiastic?
- How do you develop and maintain an awe-inspired reverence for our Lord?
- Why does David warn us about hardening our hearts and the author of Hebrews repeats that truth three times (Hebrews 3:7, 8, 15; 4:7)?
- How do we "hear God's voice" today? (Romans 10:14-17; John 16:12, 13)?
- What spiritual disciplines help us from hardening our hearts like the Israelites in the wilderness whom the Lord loathed for forty years (Psalm 95:8-11)?
Now What? Application:
- Prayerfully extend an invitation to someone in your OIKOS this week to come with you to church worship service.
- What is the yoke that Jesus wants you to take on for His glory? Don't wait - do what He is asking TODAY!