Topics: beat discouragement, Christ
I. Keep seeking Christ
A. We have resurrection power to free us from discouragement!
- Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God (Colossians 3:1).
- We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ. For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me (Col. 1:28, 29).
B. Prayer and worship are essential in seeking the joy of Christ!
While He was blessing them, He parted from them and was carried up into heaven. And they, after worshiping Him, returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple praising God (Luke 24:51-53).
II. Set your mind on Christ
A. We have the mind of Christ that transforms discouragement!
- Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth (Col. 3:2).
- And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:2; see also 2 Corinthians 10:3-5).
B. Renewing our mindset is the key in living victoriously!
Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another (Colossians 3:16a).
III. Live your life for Christ
A. We have a new identity, which overcomes discouragement!
- For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory (Colossians 3:3, 4).
- See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure (1 John 3:1-3).
B. Our earthly circumstances do not define who we are!
See John 17:14-17.
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, April 19th, 2020