Topics: merciful God, mindful God, mighty God
I. God is merciful
* David cries out in fear with steadfast faith in God!
- Be gracious to me, O God, for man has trampled upon me; fighting all day long he oppresses me. My foes have trampled upon me all day long, for they are many who fight proudly against me (Psalm 56:1, 2).
- When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? (Psalm 56:3, 4).
II. God is mindful
A. God is mindful of David's trials!
All day long they distort my words; all their thoughts are against me for evil. They attack, they lurk, they watch my steps, as they have waited to take my life. Because of wickedness, cast them forth, in anger put down the peoples, O God! (Psalm 56:5-7).
B. God is mindful of David's tears!
- You have taken account of my wanderings; put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call; this I know, that God is for me (Psalm 56:8-9).
- And He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away (Revelation 21:4).
C. God is mindful of David's trust!
In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me? (Psalm 56:10, 11).
III. God is mighty
* David rejoices in God's deliverance as he walks in the light!
- Your vows are binding upon me, O God; I will render thank offerings to You. For You have delivered my soul from death, indeed my feet from stumbling, so that I may walk before God in the light of the living (Psalm 56:12, 13)
- Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life" (John 8:12)
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, July 9th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
I know that God is for me
An important Guideline of Life Groups: In Life Groups - helping one another know that the Lord is "compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness" (Psalm 103:8) inspires proper worship and builds faith during times of trials.
- Why did David end up isolating himself and try to hide in enemy territory? Has fear ever caused you to isolate yourself?
- When oppression increases, as end times predicts (Matthew 24:12; 2 Timothy 3:1-5), how will you trust in God and His Word?
- Do you make it your first priority to praise God and trust in His Word when you're alone, desperate and afraid?
- When David asks twice, "What can mere man do to me?" (Psalm 56:4, 11) - his answer seems to be nothing. However, man can do many things to us, but our trust must be squarely on our Lord! How can we grow in that trust (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)?
- Do you find it comforting to realize that God knows what you are going through and sees every tear you shed?
- As with David, God is mindful of your trials, your tears and your trust! What helps you to trust God when life gets messy?
- What kind of "Thank offerings" (Psalm 56:12) can you render to our Lord?
- How do you "walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light" (1 John 1:7)?
- Can you say confidently, "I know that God is for me!"? Explain.
Now What? Application:
- Plan on sharing your personal testimony of God's deliverance with others who may be feeling fearful or alone.
- What habits can you establish in your daily life to help you walk in victory and faith?