Topics: spiritual influence, God's way, God's word, God's will
I. Ignore Distractions to God's way
A. We must block out the noise and commotion!
- So He said, "Go forth and stand on the mountain before the Lord." And behold, the Lord was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire (1 Kings 19:11, 12a).
- See Psalm 55:1-3a.
B. Satan is good at distracting us! (2 Corinthians 2:11)
C. Jesus is God's way! (John 14:6)
II. Listen Attentively to God's word
A. We must learn to listen carefully to God's voice!
- After all the "distractions" had passed by there came - a sound of a gentle blowing. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" (1 Kings 19:12b, 13).
- See Ecclesiastes 5:1, 2.
B. Satan is a master at deception! (2 Corinthians 11:3)
C. Jesus is God's Word! (John 1:1, 14)
III. Follow Faithfully God's will
A. We must persevere to do God's purpose for our lives!
- The Lord said to him, "Go, return on your way to the wilderness of Damascus, and when you have arrived, you shall anoint Hazael king over Aram; and Jehu the son of Nimshi you shall anoint king over Israel; and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abel-meholah you shall anoint as prophet in your place (1 Kings 19:15, 16).
- See Ephesians 2:10 and Galatians 6:9, 10.
B. Satan wants to discourage us (1 Peter 5:8)
C. Jesus is God's will! (John 6:40)
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, May 28th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Influence your family spiritually
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Make fervent prayer for one another's families a top priority with specific names and petitions. Keep a list of prayer requests and answers to prayers for encouragement.
- How did your personal family experience influence you spiritually?
- From your own family background, what do you want to repeat and what do you want to change?
- How does Elijah's despair after a great spiritual victory warn us about the satanic attack against our ministry successes?
- What are some common distractions in your life that you need to block out?
- What was Jesus basic concern for Martha and His compliment for Mary in the situation found in Luke 10:38-42?
- Why do some Christians want to focus on the dramatic and sensational instead of listening attentively to God's Word?
- How did the serpent "deceive Eve by his craftiness" (2 Corinthians 11:3) according to Genesis 3:1? What are some areas of life that Satan questions God's Word, "Indeed, has God said..."?
- Have you ever heard that voice in your conscience asking, "What are you doing here?" Have you ever felt alone, like Elijah?
- How can you make Jesus the focus of your life so that He is the spiritual center showing people God's Way, God's Word and God's Will?
Now What? Application:
- Make a commitment to pray daily for your family and your spiritual legacy!
- Have as your goal to faithfully persevere so you will be able to repeat Paul's words at the end of your life in 2 Timothy 4:7, 8.