Topics: inner world, positive influence
I. Our world needs godly influencers
* There is an urgent need for true spiritual impact!
- The world is decaying morally and walking in darkness.
- Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually (Genesis 6:5).
II. Influence by being salt
* Salt doesn't change chemically, but it can be contaminated!
- "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men" (Matthew 5:13).
- Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person (Colossians 4:5, 6).
- There are many suggestions about the characteristics of salt: it?s white for purity; it adds flavor for taste; salt stings in wounds and salt creates thirst. Each has some validity, but it seems like the main emphasis is salt?s preserving influence.
III. Influence by being light
* The light of Jesus through us can make a difference in this world!
- "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house" (Matthew 5:14, 15; see also John 8:12).
- The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God (2 Cor. 4:4).
- "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).
- Like salt, there are many suggestions for the characteristics of light: light warns of dangers (lighthouse); light offers guidance (runway lights); light attracts attention (a lighted widow); light provides comfort (light therapy); light dispels the darkness (allowing us to see) and true light glorifies our Father who is in heaven!
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins October 31st, 2021