Topics: grace, love
I. Be saved by God's loving grace
* Christmas celebrates the appearing of God's love for us!
But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life (Titus 3:4-7).
II. Be strong in God's loving grace
* Christmas love reminds us to grow in God's grace for us!
- You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus (2 Tim. 2:1).
- But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen (2 Peter 3:18).
III. Be contagious with God's loving grace
* Christmas love motivates us to invest God's loving grace in others!
- The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also (2 Tim. 2:2).
- You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you (1 Thessalonians 1:6-8a).
#4 Advent sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, December 24th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Inspire a legacy of love
An important Guideline of Life Groups: When Life Groups grow in size to where it is no longer a "small group", it's important to make plans to "multiply" and bear more fruit by reproducing new Life Groups to impact more people.
- What are some examples that you've seen or experienced the legacy of spiritual multiplication of disciples?
- Who have you been able to influence spiritually and to invest into who is following Jesus faithfully?
- When did you first truly understand the gospel and receive God's love and forgiveness by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8, 9)?
- How can you grow in the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? What does that look like in your treatment of others?
- What are some of the important things which Timothy had heard from Paul in the presence of many witnesses (2 Timothy 2:2)?
- Who is in your OIKOS relationships that you consider faithful people who will be able to teach others also (2 Timothy 2:2) How can you entrust the treasures of the gospel into their lives?
- What insights does James give us about God's grace in James 4:5, 6?
Now What? Application:
- The Christmas season opens up many opportunities to talk about Jesus. Who can you take the initiative with this week to discuss spiritual truths?
- What does it look like for you to "be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 2:1)?