Topics: love, treasure, heart
I. We must go tell people the gospel!
* We model Christ's love as we take the initiative to speak the truth!
- Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness (Matthew 9:35).
- For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
After that, He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time (1 Corinthians 15:3-6a).
II. We must see people with compassion!
* We minister Christ's love as we show true compassion for people!
- Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd (Matthew 9:36).
- Now when Jesus heard about John, He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities. When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, felt compassion for them, and healed their sick (Matthew 14:13, 14).
III. We must pray for more workers!
* We multiply Christ's love as we prayerfully make disciples!
- Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest"(Matthew 9:37, 38).
- "Do you not say, "There are yet four months, and then comes the harvest?? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look on the fields, that they are white for harvest. Already he who reaps is receiving wages and is gathering fruit for life eternal; so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together" (John 4:35, 36).
- "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins August 7th, 2022.