Topics: knowing, discernment
I. Know and discern the coming of the Messiah
* The issuing of a decree begins the prophetic timeline (9:25)!
- The decree of Cyrus (538 BC),(2 Chronicles 36:22, 23) until Ezra and Nehemiah (456-408 BC), the next "62 weeks" from 408 BC to 1st Advent of Christ and the last "week" from 1st Advent of Christ to 70 AD destruction or Christ's 2nd advent =symbolic interpretation.
- The decree of Artaxerxes to Ezra (458 BC), (Ezra 7:11-26) to completion of wall by Nehemiah (409 BC), then 483 years after 458 BC would result in a date of A.D. 26, the time of Jesus? baptism. This calculation utilizes the year of 365 days.
- The decree of Artaxerxes to Nehemiah (445 BC) (Neh 2:1) until triumphal entry in A.D. 32, there were 173,880 days. This calculation utilizes the 360 prophetic days for a year.
- Jesus *said to them, "Did you never read in the Scriptures, 'The stone which the builders rejected, This became the chief cornerstone; This came about from the Lord, And it is marvelous in our eyes'? Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it" (Matthew 21:42, 43).
II. Know and discern the death of the Messiah
* The spiritual battle concerning Jesus' death is highlighted in (9:26a)!
- See Isaiah 53:5-8, 10, 12.
- For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf (2 Corinthians 5:14, 15).
- When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him (Colossians 2:15).
III. Know and discern the prince who is to come
* The prince who destroys Jerusalem will create devastation (9:26b)!
- See 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4, 8.
- Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour . . . Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son (1 John 2:18, 22).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins May 9th, 2021