Topics: love, respect, mother, women
I. What is Love?
*What a woman wants and needs!
- Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. Ephesians 5:25-28
- "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who
does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us. By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world."1 John 4:7-14
- "34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35
II. What is Respect?
*What a man desires above all else!
- 22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 33 Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband. Ephesians 5:22-23,33
- Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. 1 Peter 3:1-4
Sermon by Pastor Dane Nissen May 21st, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
"Love and Respect"
Life Group questions:
- Have you ever found yourself in the "Crazy Cycle"? (waiting to love till your respected or waiting to respect till you are loved)
- What can you do to break the Crazy Cycle in marriage? And in other day to day relationships?
- In conflict do you feel more unloved or more disrespected?
- Does your love and respect for each other extend outside of their presence?
- Does your love prove your relationship with Christ? (John 13:34-35)
- How can we bring love and respect into all aspects of our lives? (work, home, friendships, etc.)