Topics: murder, suicide, guilt
I. The letter of the law
A. The principle!
- "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'You shall not commit murder'" (Matthew 5:21a).
- "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13).
B. The penalty!
- 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court' (Mt. 5:21b).
- "Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man" (Genesis 9:6).
II. The spirit of the law
A. Curb our temper!
- "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court" (Matthew 5:22a).
- So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. Then the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it" (Genesis 4:5b?7).
- Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him (1 John 3:15; see Ephesians 4:26, 27).
B. Control our tongue!
- Against slander: "and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court" (Matthew 5:22b).
- Against belittling: "and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell" (Matthew 5:22c).
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit (Proverbs 18:21).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins November 14th, 2021