Topics: Christ, eternal king, priest, judge
I. He reigns as our eternal King
* The royal reign of Christ honors His divine personhood!
- The Lord says to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet" (Psalm 110:1).
- "What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?" They said to Him, "The son of David." He said to them, "Then how does David in the Spirit call Him 'Lord,' saying, 'The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at My right hand, Until I put Your enemies beneath Your feet'? "If David then calls Him 'Lord,' how is He his son?" (Matthew 22:42-45).
- The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying, "Rule in the midst of Your enemies." Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power; in holy array, from the womb of the dawn, Your youth are to You as the dew (Ps. 110:2, 3).
II. He serves as our eternal Priest
* The priestly reign of Christ intercedes for our salvation!
- The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind, "You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek" (Psalm 110:4).
- And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High. He blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand." He gave him a tenth of all (Genesis 14:18-20).
- And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation, being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 5:9, 10; See Hebrews 6:19, 20).
III. He is coming as the eternal Judge
* The judicial reign of Christ is righteous in His wrath!
- The Lord is at Your right hand; He will shatter kings in the day of His wrath. He will judge among the nations, He will fill them with corpses, He will shatter the chief men over a broad country. He will drink from the brook by the wayside; therefore He will lift up His head (Psalm 110:5-7).
- See Revelation 19:11-16.
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, October 15th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Our Majestic Messiah
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Highlighting the Majesty of our LORD Jesus Christ is the priority for every believer. How can your Life Group magnify Jesus in His various roles?
- What is your understanding of the roles and functions of our majestic Messiah, the Lord Jesus?
- Why is it vital to have Jesus as your King and Priest before He comes as Judge? How does that alleviate any fear of judgment (Hebrews 9:27, 28)?
- What are the responsibilities and distinctions of the King, the Priest, and the Judge?
- Have you humbly bowed your heart to King Jesus to allow Him to reign and rule your life choices?
- Are you a willing volunteer freely serving our King today (Psalm 110:3)? What is the specific ministry in which you serve?
- What insights does the author of Hebrews reveal about Melchizedek in Hebrews 7?
- How is Jesus greater than David (Acts 2:34) and greater than angels (Hebrews 1:13)?
- Why does the Lord shatter kings in the day of His wrath and fill the nations with corpses (Psalm 110:5, 6)?
- Why do you think that Psalm 110 is the most quoted Psalm in all the New Testament?
Now What? Application:
- How will you honor our Lord Jesus as your King, your Priest, and your coming Judge?
- What ministry can you volunteer freely to serve in at COTW?