Topics: God, people reflection of God, creation, children
I. People are to reflect God's image
* People are created from a divine prototype!
- Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness" (Genesis 1:26a; See Genesis 5:1, 2).
- God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them (Genesis 1:27).
- With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way (James 3:9, 10).
II. People are to reproduce children
* People are created in a divine pattern!
- God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it" (Genesis 1:28a).
- And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female" (Matthew 19:4).
- "For in the image of God He made man. As for you, be fruitful and multiply; populate the earth abundantly and multiply in it" (Genesis 9:6b, 7).
III. People are to rule over creation
* People are created for a divine purpose!
- Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being (Genesis 2:7).
- "Let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth . . . and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth" (Genesis 1:26b. 28b).
- Put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him (Colossians 3:10).
- And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son (Rom. 8:28?29a).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, June 4th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Our real ID
An important Guideline of Life Groups: In our confused world of gender identity and false values, how can you motivate and empower your Life Group members to speak out for biblical truths with compassion, love, and grace?
- How do you manage the tension between grace and truth when dealing with people who have believed the world's view on human sexuality and gender fluidity?
- What helps you stay hopeful in the midst of a culture that is fulfilling 1 Timothy 4:1 "But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons"?
- How do you reflect the image of God? i.e. What does it mean to be an image-bearer for God?
- What is the difference between temptation and sin? How can same-sex attraction be a temptation, but not a sin?
- Do you view ALL PEOPLE as humans with dignity, value and worth?
- What is our God-given destiny in reproducing children/disciples (Matthew 12:46-50)?
- How are you being "re-created" and conformed into the image of Jesus Christ?
Now What? Application:
I want to suggest 10 action steps that we should take:
- Pray fervently.
- LOVE people!
- Vote biblical values.
- Teach truth to OIKOS.
- Protect vulnerable children.
- Speak up for what's right.
- Prepare for pushback.
- Be Hopeful.
- Share the gospel.
- Support biblical churches.