Topics: faith, test of faith
I. Hate sin
* God condemns sin and takes it seriously and so should we!
- This is the third time I am coming to you. Every fact is to be confirmed by the testimony of two or three witnesses. I have previously said when present the second time, and though now absent I say in advance to those who have sinned in the past and to all the rest as well, that if I come again I will not spare anyone, since you are seeking for proof of the Christ who speaks in me, and who is not weak toward you, but mighty in you. For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God.
For we also are weak in Him, yet we will live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you (2 Corinthians 13:1-4).
- A single witness shall not rise up against a man on account of any iniquity or any sin which he has committed; on the evidence of two or three witnesses a matter shall be confirmed . . . Thus you shall purge the evil from among you (Deuteronomy 19:15, 19b).
II. Love Jesus
* Spiritual examination requires honesty and introspection!
- Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you - unless indeed you fail the test? But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test(2 Corinthians 13:5, 6).
- Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words" (John 14:23, 24a; see 1 John 5:11-13).
III. Defend truth
* Obedience to the truth develops our spiritual maturity!
- Review 2 Corinthians 13:7-10.
- But in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth (1 Timothy 3:15).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins August 1st& 2nd, 2020.