Topics: God's mercy, grace
I. Receive God's mercy
* We cannot personify something we do not possess!
- Understand biblical mercy and grace: Mercy is not getting what we deserve; Grace is getting what we don't deserve. Biblical mercy is compassionate love in action showing forgiveness and leniency.
- But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that
being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life (Titus 3:4-7).
- See Matthew 20:30-34.
II. Reveal God's mercy
A. Keenness of mind!
- When the Lord saw her, He felt compassion for her, and said to her, "Do not weep." And He came up and touched the coffin; and the bearers came to a halt. And He said, "Young man, I say to you, arise!" The dead man sat up and began to speak. And Jesus gave him back to his mother (Luke 7:13-15).
B. Kindness of action!
- O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God (Micah 6:8 (NLT).
- But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life. And have mercy on some, who are doubting; save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh (Jude 20?23; see also James 2:13).
C. Kinship of heart!
- Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted (Hebrews 2:17, 18).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins September 26th, 2021