Topics: peace, conflict, handle conflict
I. Listen to the Spirit's promptings
- "Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you" (Matthew 5:23).
- "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment" (John 16:8).
- Walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph. 4:1b-3).
II. Leave your offering and go
- "Leave your offering there before the altar and go" (Matthew 5:24a).
- "Bring your worthless offerings no longer, incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies - I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly" (Isaiah 1:13).
III. First be reconciled
- "First be reconciled to your brother" (Matthew 5:24b).
- "Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Truly I say to you, you will not come out of there until you have paid up the last cent" (Matthew 5:25, 26).
- Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it (Psalm 34:13, 14).
IV. Return and worship
- "And then come and present your offering" (Matthew 5:24c).
- Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near (Hebrews 10:22-25).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins January 9th, 2022