Topics: unconditional love, hope, joy, peace
I. The origin of love
* Relentless Love springs from the very character of God!
- "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:16).
- Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him (1 John 4:7-9).
II. The object of love
* Relentless Love pursues lost sinners so we can be saved!
- "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him" (John 3:17).
- "Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked," declares the Lord God, "rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?" . . . "For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies," declares the Lord God. "Therefore, repent and live" (Ezekiel 18:23, 32).
- There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18a).
III. The outcome of love
* Relentless Love is received by faith in Jesus and passed on to others!
- "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18).
- Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ . . . because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us (Romans 5:1, 5).
- In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another (1 John 4:10-11).
Advent Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins December 20th, 2020