Topics: God is our refuge, storms of life
I. God's protection
A. Our true security is in God - God is for us!
- Title: For the choir director. A Psalm of the sons of Korah, set to Alamoth. A Song.
- God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah (Psalm 46:1-3).
- But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior" (Isaiah 43:1-3a).
B. Selah - pause and reflect on God's secure protection!
II. God's presence
A. Our unshakeable hope is in God - God is with us!
- There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling places of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns. The nations made an uproar, the kingdoms tottered; He raised His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah (Psalm 46:4-7).
- Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence (Psalm 42:5).
B. Selah - pause and reflect on God's intimate presence!
III. God's position
A. Our source of peace is God - God is above us!
- Come, behold the works of the Lord, who has wrought desolations in the earth. He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots with fire. "Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth." The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold. Selah (Psalm 46:8-11).
- Your lovingkindness is great to the heavens and Your truth to the clouds. Be exalted above the heavens, O God; let Your glory be above all the earth (Psalm 57:10, 11).
B. Selah - pause and reflect on God's exalted position!
2nd Drive-in Church sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, May 17th, 2020