Topics: Jesus, truth, way, sign
I. Pray your requests
*God wants to help us with our requests.
- Incline Your ear, LORD, and answer me; For I am afflicted and needy. Protect my soul, for I am godly; You my God, save Your servant who trusts in You. Be gracious to me, Lord, For I call upon You all day long. Make the soul of Your servant joyful, For to You, Lord, I lift up my soul. For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all who call upon You. Listen, LORD, to my prayer; And give Your attention to the sound of my pleading! On the day of my trouble, I will call upon You, For You will answer me. Psalm 86:1-7
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
II. Walk in his truth
*Jesus is the way!
- Teach me Your way, LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. Psalm 86:11
- Make me know Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day. Psalm 25:4-5
III. Walk in his way
*Jesus is the way!
- I will give thanks to You, Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forever. For Your graciousness toward me is great, And You have saved my soul from the depths of Sheol. PSALM 86:12-13
IV. Show me a sign
*Jesus is the greatest sign!
- Show me a sign of good, That those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, Because You, LORD, have helped me and comforted me. Psalm 86:17
Sermon by Pastor Dane Nissen, September 3rdth, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Show me a sign!
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Life Groups are wonderful places to connect and minister to one another. Take time this week to share with your life group how God has shown you a sign of good in your own life.
- What is your prayer life like? Of course, all of us can improve but be honest how do you feel your prayer life is?
- What do your prayers look like? Cosmic vending machine? Friend? Surface level?
- What does it mean to walk in God's truth?
- Why do you think prayer is difficult for some people?
- This walk with Christ is a relationship. Think about other relationships in your life what does your communication look like? If you put in the same amount of time with God as you do with your closest friend how much closer to Christ would you feel?
- God has given us the ultimate sign in His son Jesus. How has this sign changed your life?
- What does it look like to walk in God's way?
- Pslam 86:11 united heart means an undivided heart. What are some areas of your life or heart have you kept a hold on instead of releasing to God? See also 2 Chronicles 16:9
Now What? Application:
- What steps will you take this week, month, and year to improve your prayer life? I want to encourage you to make sustainable goals. Share with each other so that you may encourage each other.