Topics: Thanksgiving, joy, humility, intimacy
I. Expresses joy
* Spirit-filled people shout, serve and sing to the Lord joyfully!
- And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father (Ephesians 5:18-20).
- Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful singing (Psalm 100:1, 2).
II. Maintains humility
* Spirit-filled people know that we are the Lord's beloved people!
- Know that the Lord Himself is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture (Psalm 100:3).
- For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them (Ephesians 2:10).
III. Promotes intimacy
* Spirit-filled people draw near to the Lord with thankful hearts!
- Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name (Psalm 100:4).
- Since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water (Hebrews 10:21, 22).
IV. Focuses on the Lord
* Spirit-filled people become conduits of God's love to others!
- For the Lord is good; His loving-kindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations (Psalm 100:5).
- May the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you (1 Thessalonians 3:12).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, October 1st, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Understanding why our Lord desires our thanksgiving and praise is vital to true worship. He does not need our praise, but He knows that praising Him as our Sovereign Lord is what we need to be whole. Discuss Spirit-filled Thanksgiving as a personal blessing in your group.
- What does pastor Rod mean when he says that the greatest truth is his Christian walk is being filled with the Holy Spirit?
- How are we filled with the Holy Spirit? What's the difference between being indwelt with the Spirit and being filled with the Spirit?
- Why does being filled with the Holy Spirit erupt in praise and thanksgiving that glorifies our Lord Jesus (John 16:13-15)?
- How do you "know that you are His child"?
- When have you been blessed by showing up to serve the Lord with gladness?
- Which of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22, 23) is most evident in your life and which needs to become more noticeable?
- To know if our praise is Spirit-filled, we just to answer this question: Are you worshipping the Lord for His glory or for your own honor?
- What are things you can do to create more intimacy with our Lord?
Now What? Application:
- Humbly ask the Lord every day to fill you with His Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18; 1 John 5:14, 15). Give Him joyful shouts, service and singing!
- Who can you be a conduit of Spirit-filled LOVE to today? Seek to serve that person.