Topics: Christmas, gift
I. The foul gift
* We have all received the undesirable gift of a sinful nature!
- Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned (Romans 5:12).
- For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.
For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous (Romans 5:17-19).
II. The free gift
* We have been presented with a free gift that we must receive!
- But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification (Romans 5:15, 16).
- For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive (1 Cor. 15:22).
- For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23; see 2 Corinthians 9:15).
III. The gift exchange
* We must choose which gift we will exchange and which to keep!
- THE WRONG EXCHANGE IS REJECTION: (Romans 1:21-25)
- THE RIGHT EXCHANGE IS REPENTANCE: (2 Peter 3:9; Mark 8:36-38)
- "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" (Luke 11:13).
Christmas Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, December 25th, 2022