Topics: pure life, rejoice, teach
I. To live a pure life
*God's Word is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart!
- How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You (Psalm 119:9-11).
- Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God (1 Peter 1:22, 23).
II. To teach people
*God's Word will successfully accomplish what He desires!
- Blessed are You, O Lord; teach me Your statutes. With my lips I have told of all the ordinances of Your mouth (Psalm 119:12, 13).
- Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).
III. To rejoice in life
*God's Word can become a joy and delight of our hearts!
- I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways. I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word (Psalm 119:14-16).
- Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God (Colossians 3:16).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, November 5th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Utilize your sword
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Studying and memorizing the Word of God separates Life Groups from other social gatherings. Make sure that Scripture is the teaching authority in your Group.
- Why do you think Scripture is referred to as a sword (Hebrews 4:12; Ephesians 6:17)?
- Do you think that our adversary the devil has done a successful job in getting Christians to lay down their swords? How has he done this?
- Reading, Hearing, Studying, Memorizing and Meditating on God's Word are five key ways to live a pure life. Which one is easiest for you and most difficult?
- What is the most impressive quality of the Word of God in the extensive list that David gives in Psalm 19:7-14?
- Why is it imperative that we keep in mind the pursuit of God when we are pursuing His Word?
- Of the 8 synonyms for Scripture utilized and dominating throughout Psalm 119, which one tugs on your hearts strings the most: Law, Testimonies, Precepts, Statutes, Commandments, Ordinances, Word and Promises?
- Why is vital to teach Truth to others by preaching God's Word accurately (2 Timothy 4:1-4)? Do you know others who have turned away from the truth and turned aside to ear tickling teachings?
Now What? Application:
- Get an accountability partner to memorize Scripture together and quiz each other so you won't sin against God (Psalm 119:11).
- Make sure you're a wise builder who hears and acts on God's Word (Matthew 7:24-27; James 1:22-25)!