Topics: Babylon, spiritual lesson, wisdom
I. Learn from past mistakes
* Babylon was the "golden kingdom" and yet reeked of haughty pride!
- "But when his heart was lifted up and his spirit became so proud that he behaved arrogantly, he was deposed from his royal throne and his glory was taken away from him . . . until he recognized that the Most High God is ruler over the realm of mankind and that He sets over it whomever He wishes. Yet you, his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, even though you knew all this" (Daniel 5:20-22).
- Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved . . . Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come (1 Cor. 10:6, 11).
II. Learn the present theology
* Babylon was a culture filled with pantheistic religious practices!
- You have exalted yourself against the Lord of heaven; and they have brought the vessels of His house before you, and you and your nobles, your wives and your concubines have been drinking wine from them; and you have praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which do not see, hear or understand. But the God in whose hand are your life-breath and all your ways, you have not glorified (Daniel 5:23).
- Yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him(1 Cor. 8:6).
III. Learn about future judgment
* Babylon is the alarming symbol of all that stands against God!
- "This is the interpretation of the message: 'MENE' - God has numbered your kingdom and put an end to it. 'TEKEL' - you have been weighed on the scales and found deficient. 'PERES' - your kingdom has been divided and given over to the Medes and Persians" (Daniel 5:26-28).
- And he cried out with a mighty voice, saying, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! She has become a dwelling place of demons and a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird . . . I heard another voice from heaven, saying, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not participate in her sins and receive of her plagues" (Revelation 18:2, 4).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins January 31st. 2021