Topics: Jesus, glory, king
A Trilogy of Psalms:
- Psalm 22: Jesus crucified for His flock!
- Psalm 23: Jesus caring for His flock!
- Psalm 24: Jesus coming for His flock!
I. Grasp that Jesus is the King of Glory!
- The earth is the Lord's, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it. For He has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers (Psalm 24:1, 2).
- In the beginning, was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being (John 1:1-3).
II. Worship Jesus as your King of Glory!
- Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood and has not sworn deceitfully. He shall receive a blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation. This is the generation of those who seek Him, who seek Your face - even Jacob. Selah (Psalm 24:3-6).
- It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen (1 Timothy 1:15-17; See Jude 24, 25).
III. Visualize Jesus as a King of Glory!
- Lift up your heads, O gates, and be lifted up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in! Who is the King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O gates, and lift them up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in! Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, He is the King of glory. Selah (Psalm 24:7?10).
- [The whole crowd of the disciples was] shouting: "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord; peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" (Luke 19:38).
- And the glory of the Lord came into the house by the way of the gate facing toward the east (Ezekiel 43:4; See Revelation 19:11, 15, 16).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, November 27th, 2022
Life group flow and discussion questions
Welcome the King of Glory
An important Guideline of Life Groups: It is imperative that Jesus is welcomed to every Life Group meeting. It is His presence that truly transforms us. Take time to "behold the glory of the Lord" (2 Corinthians 3:18) as a group.
- Do you live your life as though all that you have is the Lord's (Psalm 24:1)? How does that attitude free us with godly contentment and wise stewardship?
- How can you welcome Jesus into your daily life as the King of Glory?
- What significance do you find in the fact that Jesus created all things and that He alone holds all things together (Colossians 1:15-18; John 1:1-3, 10; Hebrews 1:3)?
- Why is God's requirement to enter His holy presence impossible for people to achieve on their own (Psalm 15:1-4; 24:3-5; 49:7-9, 15)?
- How is Paul an example of God's saving grace (1 Timothy 1:15-17)? How can people benefit from knowing that their sins can be forgiven?
- How is righteousness attained by sinful humans (Philippians 3:8, 9)?
- Who is the King of glory in Psalm 24:7-10? How was David's example of bringing the ark of God into Jerusalem (2 Samuel 6:12-19) a foreshadowing of Jesus entering Jerusalem on Palm Sunday which also is a foreshadowing of Jesus? triumphant return as King of kings and Lord of lords?
- Do you find it fascinating that the Muslims understood the prophecy of Jesus return through the eastern gate and walled off the gate and put a graveyard in front of it?
- What was the context that Jesus declared, "I am a king" in John 18:33-38? What did Jesus mean that His kingdom is not of this world?
- How do you envision the Lord's return (Revelation 19:11-16; 2 Thes. 1:6-10)?
Now What? Application:
- How will you consciously welcome the King of Glory into your daily routines this week?
- What can you do to be better prepared for the Lord's return? How do you want Him to welcome you?