Topics: Easter, Jesus, choice
I. Many choose death and curse
A. Physical death! (Your spirit separated from your physical body)
- And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment (Hebrews 9:27).
- See Ezekiel 33:11 and Psalm 116:15.
B. Spiritual death! (Your spirit separated from God)
- "But from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die" (Genesis 2:17).
- See Isaiah 59:2 and Romans 6:23
C. Eternal death! (Your spirit separated from God forever)
- "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt" (Dan 12:2).
- See Matthew 25:41 and John 3:36.
II. Some choose life and the blessing
A. Physical life! (Your spirit united with your physical body)
- "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly" (John 10:10).
- See John 1:1-4 and 2 Corinthians 5:8, 9.
B. Spiritual life! (Your spirit reunited with God)
- "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life" (John 5:24).
- See John 11:25, 26 and Ephesians 2:4-6.
C. Eternal life! (Your spirit united with God forever)
- "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent" (John 17:3).
- See Galatians 6:7, 8 and 1 John 5:11-13.
Easter Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, April 9th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
What will you choose?
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Recognizing that what we do in this earthly life will impact our eternal position, should inspire and motivate everyone to live a spiritually disciplined life for the glory of our Lord. How should your Life Group impact your earthly choices?
- What comes to your mind when you think about Easter? How has our cultural media influenced people in focusing in on bunnies, jelly beans and Easter eggs?
- As Moses is about to leave the Israelites, he reiterates that the Word of God has already been given (Deuteronomy 30:11-15, 19, 20). The issue is not a lack of revelation, but a call for obedience. What did most of them choose?
- Are you confident that you have chosen new life in Jesus by faith? What kind of validation should a person see that they have eternal life (1 Timothy 6:12)?
- Why do so many people believe that "It's God's will that we die" when Scripture clearly teaches that His will is life?
- Though we cannot avoid physical death, what is needed to cancel and overturn spiritual death and eternal death?
- Who was Jesus referring to as "the thief" in John 10:10? What spiritual forces are behind the scenes influencing false shepherds (Ephesians 6:12)?
- Are you enjoying the blessings from God because our Lord Jesus Christ has redeemed you from the curse of the Law (Galatians 3:13, 14)?
- Why is the fact of the resurrection of Christ essential for us to experience eternal life(1 Corinthians 15:12-20)?
Now What? Application:
- When it comes to knowing if someone else is saved as a Christian and has eternal life, what does 2 Timothy 2:19 reveal about our responsibility and focus?
- Who will you share the good news of the gospel of Jesus with this week or this month? Pray for their reception as the time is short!