Topics: humbleness, nation
I. Initial recognition of God
* America, like Babylon, had an awareness of God's sovereignty!
- Nebuchadnezzar the king to all the peoples, nations, and men of every language that live in all the earth: "May your peace abound! It has seemed good to me to declare the signs and wonders which the Most High God has done for me. How great are His signs and how mighty are His wonders! His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom and His dominion is from generation to generation" (Daniel 4:1-3).
- See Daniel 2:21, 47; 3:28, 29.
II. Smug complacency of affluence
*America, like Babylon, has grown complacent with prosperity!
- I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at ease in my house and flourishing in my palace (Daniel 4:4).
- See Deuteronomy 8:11-14.
III. Alarming reality of judgment
*America, like Babylon, will face God's righteous judgment!
- "I saw a dream and it made me fearful; and these fantasies as I lay on my bed and the visions in my mind kept alarming me" (Daniel 4:5).
- God is a righteous judge, and a God who has indignation every day. If a man does not repent, He will sharpen His sword (Psalm 7:11, 12a)
IV. Proper response of Christians
*America, like Babylon, needs "Daniels" to stand up for truth!
- "But finally Daniel came in before me, whose name is Belteshazzar according to the name of my god, and in whom is a spirit of the holy gods; and I related the dream to him, saying, 'O Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, since I know that a spirit of the holy gods is in you and no mystery baffles you, tell me the visions of my dream which I have seen, along with its interpretation'" (Daniel 4:8, 9).
- Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord (1 Cor. 15:58)
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins November 15th, 2020