Topics: faith, life, unfair
I. When our faith is unsettled
* Life seems unfair when we see the prosperity of the wicked!
- Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart! But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling, my steps had almost slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant as I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no pains in their death, and their body is fat. They are not in trouble as other men, nor are they plagued like mankind. Therefore pride is their necklace; the garment of violence covers them (Psalm 73:1-6).
- They say, "How does God know? And is there knowledge with the
Most High?" Behold, these are the wicked; and always at ease, they have increased in wealth (73:11, 12).
II. Our faith needs to be resettled
* Life seems unfair when our spiritual efforts seem to be in vain!
- Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and washed my hands in innocence; for I have been stricken all day long and chastened every morning . . . When I pondered to understand this, it was troublesome in my sight (Ps. 73:13, 14, 16; see Malachi 3:14).
- When my heart was embittered and I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You (Psalm 73:21, 22).
- Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord (1 Cor. 15:58).
III. Welcome to a faith that is settled
* Life seems unfair UNTIL we're in God's presence with His values!
- Until I came into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end. Surely You set them in slippery places; You cast them down to destruction. How they are destroyed in a moment! They are utterly swept away by sudden terrors! (Psalm 73:17-19).
- Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Ps. 73:23-26).
- But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works (Psalm 73:28).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, July 30th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
When life seems unfair
An important Guideline of Life Groups: Having a safe place to share life's struggles and frustrations is vital to our spiritual health. Encourage one another to open up about how life seems unfair.
- Have you found yourself in the same place as Asaph in questioning whether "God is good - all the time"?
- What are some specific examples where you see that this earthly life IS UNFAIR?
- Do you know wealthy people who use their resources for God's glory and furthering His kingdom?
- Have you ever been envious of prosperous people who seem to be having all the fun and enjoying the luxuries of this life?
- How often do you think about life beyond this earthly existence?
- What distinction does God make between people as recorded in Malachi 3:14-18?
- How does 1 Corinthians 15:58 inspire you to press on in serving the Lord in this unjust and corrupt world?
- Confusion about God's goodness was resolved for Asaph when he "came into the sanctuary of God" (73:17). How important is it for you to come into the presence of Almighty God on a daily basis? How important is it for you to come into the church (Christian community) faithfully (Hebrews 10:23-25)?
Now What? Application:
- When you experience the wickedness of this unfair world - what life application do you need to make to resettle your faith?
- How can you increase your faith so the Lord will marvel and be amazed (Luke 7:9)?