Topics: worship, worship the Lord
I. Praise Him with the angels
- Ascribe to the Lord, O sons of the mighty, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to His name; worship the Lord in holy array(1, 2).
- Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing." And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I
heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever" (Revelation 5:11-13).
II. Praise Him in the storm
A. Praise Him as the Storm gathers!
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord is over many waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful, the voice of the Lord is majestic (Psalm 29:3, 4).
B. Praise Him when the Storm strikes!
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars; yes, the Lord breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon. He makes Lebanon skip like a calf, and Sirion like a young wild ox. The voice of the Lord hews out flames of fire (Psalm 29:5-7).
C. Praise Him after the Storm passes!
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness; the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh. The voice of the Lord makes the deer to calve and strips the forests bare; and in His temple everything says, "Glory!" (Psalm 29:8, 9).
III. Praise Him as your King
- The Lord sat as King at the flood; yes, the Lord sits as King forever. The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace (Psalm 29:10, 11).
- "The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you, and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26).
Sermon by Pastor Rod Akins, January 15th, 2023
Life group flow and discussion questions
Worship the sovereign Lord
An important Guideline of Life Groups: The ultimate purpose of our lives is to worship our Lord by loving Him, glorifying Him, enjoying Him, obeying Him and praising Him. Make sure your Life Group focuses on the Lord, not just the fellowship.
- What are some ways that we can ascribe glory (kabod) to the Lord?
- Lord is mentioned 18 times in Psalm 29, reminding us that the Psalm is not about the storm, but about the Lord who sits above all storms. How should that impact our attitude and focus in the storms of life?
- Why do you think that the angelic hosts are worshipping the Lordcontinuallyday and night in heaven (Revelation 4:8-11)?
- David felt that mere human praise was inadequate so he appeals to angelic majesties for help in praising the Lord-have you ever asked for angels to join in your praise?
- How important is worship to you? What demonstrates your passion to worship our Lord?
- What would it take to make it a "lifestyle of praise" even in the storms of life?
- Name some of the storms of your life that you found it hard to praise the Lord. Why could praise help you in the hardest times?
- How often do you thank God for the trials of life? What did James mean to "consider it all joy . . . when you encounter various trials" (James 1:2)?
- What does the "voice of the Lord" sound like to you (John 10:4, 27)?
- Why is vital that we allow the Lord to sit as King over our lives (Psalm 29:10)?
Now What? Application:
- Take a throne check every day and make sure that Jesus is "on the throne of your heart" as sovereign King.
- Ask the Lord to calm the storm in your life with confident faith (Mark 4:37-40).